Thursday 16 August 2012

You know when you feel so happy, you worry something is going to go wrong?!


I got my job offer on 4th July, and my start date is 20th August...as in NEXT MONDAY! So six and a half weeks isn't bad I guess!



As things are, they haven't been as stressful as I thought they would be. Human Resources (HR) contacted my references, then contacted me to say they hadn't received my references, at which point I thought I'd have a major freak out, but I didn't. Mainly because I keep thinking they've made a mistake and that I haven't really got this job, something will go wrong. So I was half expecting it. In reality though, they contacted my references AFTER my CRB came back, then contacted me the very next day to ask why they hadn't received my references...not even post works that quick! I assumed that they would contact my references the day they offered, and I (gleefully, whilst crying) accepted the job, but that is not that case it seems.



Anyhoo, I was enjoying a day at Seahouses, on the beach, my most favourite place in the whole wide world, when I received a voicemail to say that I hadn't had my references back. Turns out my Uni tutor emailed them back instantly :) and my Care Home boss replied super quick, but I needed an upstanding member of the public reference too, no idea why, but he got the reference request and wrote it, then drove halfway round the town to find somewhere to fax it from, bless him. So whilst paddling in the North Sea, in my favourite place in the world, I finally got my confirmation of my dream job :D



From then, I had to make an appointment to the Linen Room to get my uniform, of which I was worried they would not have a uniform to fit someone the size of a small island, but happily they did! I got my tunics and trousers, was offered a dress but people that know me know I don't 'do' dresses...!  I needed my trousers taken up, which they kindly offered to do for free, I just came back the next day, to collect, which was today!  I really feel that they linen room staff don’t get much of a recognition for what they do, I mean they took my trousers up for free AND put my name and ward on a label inside the trousers.  I’m planning on taking them some nice biscuits in, because their room is underground and I bet they don’t get many ‘Thank You’s’ that they so much deserve for providing all the uniforms to everyone in all the Newcastle Hospitals. 



I’m kind of writing this blog still as a student, as I still can’t believe I finally did it.  Also, hope my blog will help those getting offered jobs, to see how things progress when they’ve got that all important job offer.  Lots of people I’ve talked about it to are asking what I’m worried about, and all I can think of is driving there.  I am so confident in the job, the people, the ward, everything, but I have no spatial awareness whatsoever.  If I think I’m lost, I generally turn left, for no apparent reason.  Seriously.  I mean I’m a safe driver, I just have no idea where I am half the time.  My Mam and Dad, bless them, have spent so much time teaching me how to get to the hospital, coming with me in the car so I know where I am, but I am clueless, got to give so much praise to community nurses and health visitors.  I am ridiculously useless in terms of directions, but I plan to set off early so I get there on time, and I think if that’s the most of my worries, then I’m doing ok! 



I start on Monday, my absolute dream job, and to be honest I CAN’T WAIT.  I am so excited.  I keep thinking of it and keep smiling.  I am so happy, I don’t think it’s legal for someone to be this happy.  This ward seems amazing and if I could have any chance for a job, this ward would be my top choice.  I just can’t believe I have this job!  I am so excited, I’m desperate to get stuck in and be part of the team, and although I have a few training days, getting my ID, sorting out my parking pass and such in the way, I really, absolutely, 100% can’t wait to be the best nurse in the world. 



I’m still so happy!  Hurry up Monday!!!

1 comment:

  1. All the best for Monday Gem, enjoy it :D xx

    ReplyDelete